Theater education and participation
- Nebraska Thespians - Nebraska Thespians is one of the chapters of the Educational Theatre Association which sponsors the International Thespian Society. Thespian troupes are chartered in public and private schools through the country. Nebraska Thespians has troupes all across the state in both public and private schools, representing excellence in theatre education. As an educational honor society, they are dedicate to encouraging and improving the skills of theatre students throughout Nebraska.
- Theatre Arts Guild Omaha - The Theatre Arts Guild encourages participation in the theater arts and actively promotes Omaha area theaters. Students can also become a TAG member for only $18 a year. TAG also offers two yearly scholarships to high school seniors planning to pursue an undergraduate degree in theater arts.
- American Theatre – American Theatre magazine is the nation’s only general-circulation magazine devoted to theater. American Theatre covers theatrical trends and events, stage artists of every stripe, and economic and legislative developments affecting the arts.
- OnStage Blog - OnStage’s mission is to cover all things theater, from community theater to the Tony Awards. This is a great resource for any student looking to expand their knowledge about theatre.
- The National High School Musical Theatre Awards – The National High School Musical Theater Awards was established in 2009 to elevate the importance of theater arts education in schools and reward excellence in student performance. The program impacts more than 50,000 students annually.
- Broadway Speakers Bureau - The Broadway Speakers Bureau offers interactive seminars to share information about nonperformance careers in the arts (producing, general management, marketing, etc.) with schools around the country. Speakers include award-winning professionals associated with many of the top Broadway shows such as WICKED, RENT and more. Panelists conduct discussions from a New York City studio via distance learning video conferencing. These seminars are live, and students are encouraged to ask questions. The Broadway Speakers Bureau discussions are produced in partnership with The Broadway League. We are happy to arrange individual distance learning opportunities on a variety of requested topics for participating NHSTA schools upon request. For more information or to schedule a seminar, please email NHSTA@O-pa.org.
- Careers.Broadway - Careers.Broadway is intended to be a resource through which students and interested people of all ages find information and opportunities relating to careers in the Broadway industry. We have tried to include as much information as we could find, and we will update the site whenever more information comes to our attention. While many people are aware of the jobs that are visible when attending theatre (actors, musicians, ushers, etc.), there are many behind-the-scenes jobs that make shows happen as well. We hope you enjoy learning more about these exciting careers!
Nebraska theater colleges
College and audition prep
- PlaybillEDU has a comprehensive searchable database of more than two thousand undergraduate theater, dance and music programs at more than a thousand colleges and universities across the U.S. and Canada.
- The National Unified Auditions allow students to audition for numerous university programs in one location over the course of a few days. Students can register for the Unified Auditions by applying through a participating university. Students must apply to each school they wish to audition for at the Unified Auditions. You can find a bit more information about pros and cons here.
- The College Audition Blog is a great resource for students who are preparing for any kind of audition, especially if musical theater in college is their aim. Industry professionals Matthew Edwards and Jacquelyn Zito-Edwards gather their insider expertise and advice together in one place. They have information on good audition monologues and songs, college audition advice, necessary training, careers, and so much more.
Are you a Nebraska High School Theater Academy Alum? Join the NHSTA Alumni Facebook group to connect with fellow peers and receive information on upcoming audition, performance and volunteer opportunities! Join the group at Facebook.com/groups/NHSTA.Alumni.OPA/.